Sunday, October 25, 2009

Carving Pumpkins






A couple weeks ago when Scott's parents were in town went to a pumpkin farm to find perfect pumpkins. Well, these perfect pumpkins sat in the garage until now. I finally made the time to carve them up. Scott and Grisham took care of cleaning out the guts then I was going to do the carving. Scott had an enormous amount of reading to do. I bought one of those carving guides and figured it would be easy enough. Yep, NO!! I picked a simple one to start with. It was supposed to be a castle and a ghost. It took forever and my hand was killing me by the time I was done. Then Grisham decided to help and broke off the castle. I tried to put it back together with tooth picks but now it just sags. So the next pumpkin was going to be a simple jack o lantern face. Turned out ok. I decided to give one of the guides another chance. So I found and even simpler cut out and went for it. It was supposed to be a bony face but didn't turn out very well. Scott came in and noticed how tired I was and volunteered to take over. Well he couldn't see my outline very well and ended up cutting half the face off. Once again we tried to piece it back together with tooth picks. Needless to say we are not artists and the carving pumpkins was a complete failure this year. Hopefully next year will be better. I don't think I will put candles in them, they are pretty sad looking.

1 comment:

Mary said...

LOL! Eric had to carve 5 of them! He can't say no to Greg. His hands were cramping so bad!

I think your pumpkins look great!