Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all my family and friends. Around this time every year I like to take the opportunity to reflect on what has happened and what is yet to come. This past year has been filled with so many ups and downs. With our economy in the toilet I am so thankful that Scott has a job in the health care field. We will always need doctors. The housing market could be better and hopefully it will be when we need to sell in two years. I am so thankful for our cozy house. It is home to us. It is where I feel the safest and being a stay at home mom it is my domain. I have been blessed with a beautiful daughter this year. She is so bright and bubbly. So even tempered. Her smile lights up the world. The other day we were riding in the car going no where in particular. Grisham got a new car seat and Genevieve got his old one. Well this new seat of his lets him have a few more freedoms that he didn't have before. Now he can strain his neck over to look at Genevieve. He loves to make her laugh. This day he just knew what to do or say to get her rolling. And in that very moment I had to be so thankful to God in Heaven for choosing me to be here at this very moment to listen to the musical laughter between my two precious children. For that I am so thankful.
I am so thankful for my friend Mary. Throughout life friends come and go. Some stay with us for a short period of time and others are life long. I have had many of the fleeting and will have many more. But I am proud to say that Mary is most definitely a lifer. She joins the ranks of Diane whom I meet back in fourth grade. A lot of my childhood memories have her in them. We may not have experienced all that life has to offer together but we have always remained close through phone calls, letters and emails. There are so many layers to this friendship and like an onion it may make you cry as you peel them apart. She means that much to me. My friend Carrie. So much to say about Carrie. I met Carrie in high school. Most of my teenage/young adult memories have Carrie attached to them. We had so many good time together. My sister Sarah is not just my sister but but my friend. We talk daily. I tell her just about everything. She is my right arm and probably leg too. Without her my world would be crippled. In just this last year Mary has joined the ranks of these fine ladies. Now the memories that will forever be attached to her will be residency and motherhood. She is the first person that I call on to talk about being a wife of a surgeon or a mom to two. Mary has taught me patience, unconditional love for our children but most of all she has been a wonderful nonjudgmental listener. When my heart is aching or I just need a good laugh with a friend I call on Mary. Thanks Mary for being there for me.
This year Scott is half way through residency. We can finally see the light. Now if we could just decide if a fellowship was what we want. I get ants in my pants thinking about the future. If he goes onto fellowship that is another two years of training. I think I can take it. I may need to continue babysitting where ever we move to. If he decides to be done after residency that means we can look for a permanent place to live. One thought leads to the next and I have the next five years planned in my head. I tend to do that you know. Make my own plans and then say "oh yeah Hey God so what did you have in mind for us". I am not one to really make resolutions. But I think this year I am totally making a few. I purchased this card at the Christian bookstore that hangs in my car. It reads.. Trust in His timing, Rely on His promises, Wait for His answers Believe in His miracles, Rejoice in His goodness, Relax in His presence. So I want to make this my mission this year, to follow His lead not mine. So much to look forward to in this new year. It really does fell like a clean slate. Happy New Year everyone. Now go watch some football!!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Laura, thank you for such kind words. It is me who is blessed to have your friendship, and Greg to have Grisham's...and before this stage of our life is over, I'm sure Leah and Genevieve will be good friends as well. How would we survive residency without each other? It's grueling and very few truly understand. Indeed, we are lifelong friends. While I look forward to the future - the phone calls, the letters, the trips to see each other, I will cherish the years we have together now. Our friendship will only get better and stronger with time. Love you.