Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Speech Appointment

When Genevieve was 18 months old our pediatrician recommended that we take her to a speech therapist. I was pretty floored at the time. I mean seriously just because my 18 month old doesn't have as many words as most of the other 18 months old kids doesn't mean there is something wrong. Why do we have to put everyone in boxes!!! Anyway...I scheduled the appointment for sometime in January and we all know what happened in January. Little Carolyn was born. So I canceled the appointment and decided to wait to see if I saw any improvement in the next few months. Well summer rolled around and I was still a bit concerned so I made the appointment. That appointment was this morning. The speech therapist was wonderful. She had a whole bunch of toys and fun books with pictures. I just sat back and let her do her thing. Every now and then the S.T. would ask Genevieve a question that I didn't think she would know and then Genevieve would blow me away by responding correctly. The evaluation went by quickly and the therapist said that she was in the normal range for her age ( 2yrs and 4 months). Her comprehension was above average. Her expressive speech was right at average. Here's the kicker...if she was two months older she would be deficient in her expressive speech. So the therapist would like to evaluate her in 3-6 months to make sure she is improving. If she shows little improvement then we will do some therapy. The S.T. is going to send me her evaluation with some homework in the mail. I am relieved to find out that Genevieve is fine and hopefully she will show improvement at her next appointment.

3 comments:

chris and diane said...

that's great to hear!!

Carol (MOM) said...

Her "I do it," is very clear so the rest will come in her own time, she is so smart, I can just see the wheels turning when you look at her. Can you imagine the for-thought that it took for her to plan how she was going to get up and get that big bottle of wash off the shelf and dump it in the tub in the short time you were out of the bathroom??? She's a planner and a schemer and will be telling us all how to "Do It" in her own time:)

Connie said...

Glad to hear the news! To every thing there is a season--a time to observe and listen and a time to talk!! It was great to see pictures again, too!I love banner pic!
Connie