Saturday, September 20, 2008

Apple Picking




























Yes, it is that time of the year. Apple pickin!! We went to Hirsch Farm in Chillicothe. It is worth the drive. They have this huge apple picking festival the third weekend in September every year. This was our second year going. The farm offers horse pulled wagon rides, goats and miniture horses to pet, face painting, pumpkin patch, hay area to play in, scarecrow building booth, real maple syrup, apple butter and just about anything made from an apple. The line for the apple picking tour was about two hours long. Since we went on the tour last year we skipped it and went straight to the orchard to pick our apples. Thank God for the tractor ride up the enormous hill. I sat next to a lady that climbed the hill last week with her daughters. She said it took them more than an hour to climb it. Like I said, thank God for the tractor ride. Once we got up to the orchard we had many choices to choose from. They had Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Empire, Melrose (our favorite), Mutsu, Cortland and Jonagold. We picked 1/2 a bushel. Last year we pick a whole bushel. Our eyes were way bigger than our stomachs. Lesson learned. I am excited to bake on apple pie tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out. After another ride on the tractor (I think this was Grisham's favorite part) we ran into Eric and Mary Elliott. They were there with family and waiting for the tour. Grisham was so excited to see Greg. It was such a busy day but I am so thankful for the family time.

1 comment:

Mary said...

This is my favorite time of the year. I'm so glad we ran into you. The family picture turned out really well. We tried several times but I'm not sure any of them turned out. We'll see.